Monday 1 August 2011

Remakes and Adaptions.

So as some of you may know this weekend in the American box-office a certain film starring little blue creatures tied first in box-office against the awesome action movie Cowboys & Aliens. Yes, I’m talking about The Smurfs.
 
Now a lot of different theories have come out about this, mostly because this surprised everyone as many expected Smurfs to open at third or fourth behind Cowboys, Potter and Captain America, and my favourite so far is because of the two live-action actors in the film. Yep that’s right, people believe that the only reason audiences went to see this movie was because of Neil Patrick Harris and Jayma Mays; people who have huge fan bases because of their respective TV shows. I’d buy this and believe that it could be true if it was a romantic comedy or something (that would actually be a pretty good movie; I’d pay to see that).
The only other theory and this is most likely the main reason, is that adults have taken their kids to see a film based off a show they used to love. I know my father was insane about The Smurfs. This is most likely the real case. So is nostalgia enough of a reason to predict that a movie is going to make money now?
When I was first discussing this with people one of my friends brought up Winnie the Pooh and now excited I was for that and asked what was the difference? The answer is respect. Look at the Winnie the Pooh trailer.
 
It’s in the same style as the original TV show and films. The point of this film was to be nostalgic over a lost art form and type of animation. Traditionally animated films are gone, even if Disney say they will make one every two years they won’t because both times they have it has failed to meet their expectations. Sorry I started ranting then. Going back to the original question, Winnie the Pooh respected the original material. This Smurfs film hasn’t. In the original cartoon, the Smurfs were; 1. Animated, 2. In their forest and 3. It was NOT live-action! In this new film they have broken all three of those and insulted the original TV show.
This is the problem I have with remakes and reimagining. I am all for it, if some producer feels the complete need to retell Casablanca, by all means go ahead but if you do respect the material. Don’t get some shitty writer who’s been paid millions and millions of dollars to write the first thing that comes to his head because that’s where Hollywood is failing. Take the new Karate Kid movie. I loved it, I thought it was extremely well told and you know why? Because those involved love the original material, they loved it and respected it and didn’t want to do anything to hurt it so they gave it their all to make the new one just as good and just as special so it doesn’t taint the memory of the first film (sequels not included). The other end of that would be, oh The Last Airbender. I know not a remake but still an adaption. No-one involved in this project respected the original material and this is clearly seen which is why most people hated it. For people to enjoy a film that is based on something they love, which is what most are, it has no only respect the original material and still tell a good story. This is why I am one of the few who is actually really looking forward to the new Spider-Man film, because everyone involved love Spider-Man. They know where he came from and know who he is and are respecting that.
So there my thoughts on a lot of different things, comment below let me know what you think and list any film remakes or adaptations that you believe insulted the original material. There are a lot I just can’t think of many off the top of my head right now. I’m the Mad Movie Man signing out.  


No comments:

Post a Comment