Tuesday 9 August 2011

The Amazing Spider-Man Trailer Breakdown

Ok I mentioned in my previous blog that I am actually looking forward to the new Spider-Man film and since then a trailer has been released of what the overall feel of the film will be. The trailer itself has sparked a little debate on the ending but I'll get into that later. Now I'm just going to talk about what I think of the tone and hints at what the story is going to be.


So the trailer starts out with Peter (we don't know it's him but its fairly safe to assume) being told by his dad that they have to go away for awhile and it feels as though this could be an espionage movie and a lot of people have said this is stupid and blah blah blah. Guys, this is keeping with the original comics. In the comics, Peter's parents worked for S.H.I.E.L.D, yeah S.H.I.E.L.D you know those guys from the last four Marvel Studio films. The ones that keep setting up The Avengers? Those guys. Which leads to tell us that (once legal right and what not get out of the way, Spider-Man is owned by Sony not Marvel Studios) Spider-Man could end up being in The Avengers sequel. I know I'm reading into this way too much but I love that opening and the implications that it could set up...and that's just the first thirty seconds we got a whole other two minutes to deal with.

So after that we see young Peter grow up into Andrew Garfield. Those of you who know me will know that I absolutely love Andrew Garfield and the fact that he was robbed of an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor last year is something I will never really understand. I say this because I believe that he will be a great Peter Parker.

So we get another 30 seconds establishing that Peter is a bit of an outcast and strange kid. Keeping with the comic-book lore, it seems like Gwen and Peter are close friends and also that her father George has angst with Peter. There is then a lot of quick flashes and cuts that build that Peter is a little geeky and it all builds up to the moment that we've been waiting for...the scene when Peter gets bitten. I'll admit this look pretty weird and I'm interested to see why he's in that room let alone what that room actually is. Remember this is only a trailer so you can forgive it for not giving us all this information. I will also say that I love the opening score. It works really well for the trailer, not sure if it will for the film but in this trailer it works great.

From here we get the montage of Peter discovering his powers and its all building up to the final climatic scene, with voice-overs from I'm guessing Rhys as Dr. Conners/The Lizard. The line "Are you ready to play God" makes me believe this. I hope the film do The Lizard justice and really play up the tragicness of the character. In the comics, Lizard is more of a Jekyll and Hyde character where he'll change into the Lizard at unexpected moments before changing back to Conners and trying to live a normal life. I hope they do this, because Lizard is a great tragic villain and those who know me know how much I love tragic villains.

We then get a first shot of the back of the Spidy Suit and I know a lot of people have a problem with it but, I kinda like it. It's not as campy or well made as in the first three Spider-Man's and this works because it looks like something a teenager would make, not something a costume department with an unlimited budget could do. I really like this...if the trailer cut there it could be a near perfect trailer, but no it doesn't. Instead we get one of the strangest sequences I have ever seen.

I am hoping, really hoping that this sequence is a trailer only one. Yes I have seen it in 3D and it doesn't work as well. The shot where he looks down at the streets below looks pretty cool but it still looked pretty cool in 2D but I'm not here to rant about how ineffective 3D is. My problem with this ending is not that it's in first person. I like that it's in first person, I think for the most part it works and we can somewhat feel the thrill that Spider-Man has when he's running. I love that, I think its great. What I don't like about this sequence is the effect. That's what they look like, effects. They don't feel real...it's really weird. I know everyone has made this comparison but its true, it does look like Mirror's Edge but I digress. Let's move on to the last line.

"We all have secrets, the one's we keep and the one's that are kept from us" I'm sorry but what the fuck does that mean? This line does not feel like it should be in a Spider-Man movie. It seems like that line is meant to represent what the plot might be like, I don't know all I know is that I hate it. It doesn't work and I hope that the film actually works on it because while I may hate it I can't deny that it's left me intrigued.

Yes I'm really excited for The Amazing Spider-Man and yes I think it's going to be extremely good. I'm hoping that it really is good just to shut all the haters up. Those who believe it's been too soon since the last one for a reboot, it's been 5 years, that's still pretty long for a film franchise especially for Spider-Man.

So that's my take on The Amazing Spider-Man, comment below and let me know you're thoughts. I'm the Mad Movie Man and I'll see you at the cinema

No comments:

Post a Comment