Tuesday 13 September 2011

October Movie Preview

So I missed out on my September preview because by the time I wrote the thing it was already nearly two weeks into the month and I'd seen some of the films I'd talked about (One Day) and they just weren't as good as I hoped they would be. Though never fear because here is my preview of the redeming month of October. The one that basically apologises for putting us through the horror that was September. Also because of the loose nature of Australian release dates, these could change very easily (like Green Lantern did).

October 6


Footloose. A remake of the 1984 classic that made Kevin Bacon a star, this actually looks like it could be a good film. I'm saying could very loosely because there are elements that show it could be a cliched and boring film with horrible acting but there are also some moments that look like it could be a really fun and enjoyable film. I'm not sure about this but I'm looking forward to it. It could be a fun time at the movies and a good bit of escapism.


Real Steel or as it should be called, Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots. This looks like it could be fun or really cliched. The plot has been seen before and done to death but you never know. The key to this film will be the fighting scenes. If they are done well and there are plenty of them then the film will work. If the fighting is rarely seen and it instead focuses on the relationship of the boy and father then its not going to do as well because the trailer shows that this kid can't act. Who knows, I'm hoping it's good considering the trailers have been teasing us since last year.

October 13


The Thing. A prequel to a clut-classic remake. This doesn't look good at all, the acting is wooden and the plot device about who can you trust and who can't you has been done to death. If this film has any chance at being good it needs to brign some type of twist to it. It can't be the obvious person like love interest or something. The film will play up that it's one person and then the twist will reveal it to be another. The key to make this film work is make that other person someone completely unexpected. Personally I would love it if it turns out she's actually the thing and she's just been playing everyone but I highly doubt they will take that route. My guess is that it will be the Joel Edgerton character but hey I could be wrong.


The Three Musketeers. Oh lord help me. This looks laughable its so bad. I mean what do these actors thing they are doing? This is a post-modern steampunk version of the novel and it is an insult for them to promote this as an adaptation of said novel. Paul W.S Anderson has yet to direct a truely great action film, his best being Death Race (no I don't like Resident Evil) which was barely passable. This simply looks like a film appealing to thirteen year olds except thirteen year olds aren't going to want to see this because of the period piece setting. Maybe it'll surprise me but I don't think it will.


What's Your Number. You know what, I actually think this could be funny, it won't be original or classic by any standards but I think we're looking at another Friends with Benefits, a fun, light hearted romantic comedy. Yes it looks predictable as all hell and you can tell from the trailer who she will end up with but I really like Anna Farris and Chris Evans and I think they could pull this off. Hopefully this is enjoyable and funny.

October 20


Contagion. Finally, the first time on this list that is already out in the States. I'm looking forward to his but reviews have said that while its premise is terrifying and the film is scary, over-crowding characters and plot threads hurt the film.


Paranormal Activity 3. Ok so I've never seen a Paranormal Activity movie, but before this film comes out I'm having a marathon and getting scared, hopefully. I can't really talk about what's going on mostly because I don't get it, but I know the film is a pequel to the first two, apparently they keep going backwards so chronology so maybe it'll be good.


October 27

The big week, the one I'm looking forward to the most and here is why.


Drive. This looks as thought it's going to be the serious version of The Transporter. A film about a getaway driver and the implications that can have on him when something goes wrong. My only hope is that this doesn't follow the cliched love interest storyline. It can be a part of the film but I hope they don't make it the focus, well only if it's told in an interesting and original way. Some reviews have compared this to Pulp Fiction and if that's the case then this could be a very great film.


Shark Night 3D. Yes I know I said before that I was looking forward to this weekend but there is always the exception that proves the rule and this is that one. This looks bad, really bad. I know why it was made because Piranha 3D made a fortune so this is just jumping on that band wagon but the reason Piranha made so much money was because it was; R rated, stupid, gory and filled with sex. Shark Night is M and doesn't have any of the features that apparently (I haven't seen Piranha 3D) fun. This film will bomb because it won't have the same enjoyment factor that it wants to have.


In Time. I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand I love the idea and the premise and I really think that this could be a great original sci-fi film. My fear is that it will take the cliche route and become just another typical action film. The trailer makes it seem like it is and I'm really worried that it's going to follow the same storyline as The Island. Go watch The Island and then watch this trailer and you will see the similarities in the story structure. Hopefully I'm wrong and this film is completely original and becomes a huge hit. Here's hoping.



Warrior. Oh my god I cannot wait for this film. The trailer first came out towards the end of last year and ever since I have been excited. Yes it looks like it could be cliched but I don't care it looks like it could be an awesome film. I love how the trailers have made it look as though you could pick either side, you could go for either brother. The only problem I can think this film will have is going to be the ending. If they do follow this idea where you can pick either side then the ending of who wins the fight could be done badly. Hopefully it's done well and I'm still extremely excited for this film.

So that's October, hopefully we have a much better month than September (despite it having two films that should be on my top ten of the year list). This looks like it could be filled with some great movies and hopefully they don't disappoint. I'm the Mad Movie Man and I'll see you at the cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment